Video Game Coding

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Video: Zelda DS

Check out the latest video:



This time, screen-by-screen scrolling is properly instigated by the player touching the edge of the screen. Notice how the player remains in the same relative spot, but gets "pushed" by the edge of the screen (to remain on screen) when scrolling is nearly complete. This is exactly how it works in the original Zelda. Also enemies are destroyed when scrolling starts, and re-spawned on the new screen when scrolling ends.

That's it for now!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I had never analysed how screen scrolling worked in Zelda, but you've got it! The destroying/spawning is also a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, it's funny how you don't notice these details until you try to code them yourself. I played Zelda so much in my life, but my appreciation for that game continues to grow as I try to replicate the way it works. For example, I had a similar experience when implementing the knock back upon touching an enemy, realizing that as you're being knocked back, you can still swing your sword or use an item. Zelda is really a super polished game.

    ReplyDelete